Prescription Drug Abuse
Prescription Drug Addiction
Boca Raton Drug Rehab
Today prescription medications are more widely used and prescribed than ever before in history. That said prescription drug addiction and prescription related drug abuse have become a central issue affecting people from all backgrounds and in all age groups. Prescription drug addiction is when an individual uses prescribed drugs in ways other than intended by the doctor prescribing the medication. Prescription type drug abuse is often facilitated when an individual decides to take a friend’s medication in order to remedy some type of health condition or problem. It is also further facilitated when an individual simply chooses to use medication that has been prescribed as a way to get high or to detach from reality.
More Prevalent In Younger People
Perhaps most alarming of all is that prescription drug addiction can easily become highly compulsive and out-of-control. Even more alarming is the fact that prescription medication addiction is increasingly prevalent in younger people. The types of medications commonly involved in this kind of drug addiction include sedatives, stimulants, opioid painkillers and anti-anxiety type medications. The symptoms and indications that prescription medications are becoming addictive vary based upon the type of drug involved. Here are a few of the most commonly prescribed medications that can easily become abused over time resulting in addiction.
- – Stimulant Class Medications: One example of a stimulant medication is one used for Attention Deficit Disorder and is known as Dexedrine or Adderall XR. Other stimulants include Concerta and Ritalin to name just a few of the more common prescription stimulants prescribed today.
- – Opioids: This family of prescription medications is often used to treat pain. Medication names associated with opioids include Vicodin, Norco, Lortab, Roxicodone and Oxycontin and others.
- – Sedatives and Antianxiety Medications: This class of medication is frequently doctor prescribed and used to treat sleep disorders and general anxiety. Common names for this type of addictive medication include Ambien, Valium, and Xanax. There are a number of other antianxiety medications and sedatives in use today.
Attending Boca Raton Drug Rehab For Prescription Drug Abuse
Those afflicted with prescription drug addiction frequently turn to drug rehab in Boca Raton as a way to regain control of their life. Here are a few symptoms and obvious signs that prescription drug abuse may be occurring. Anytime an individual takes higher dosages than were prescribed by the doctor there could be a problem. If there is an issue with forging, stealing or even selling prescriptions combined with excessive hostility and mood swings, prescription drug addiction may be at hand. In addition, irregular sleep patterns, poor decision-making, and erratic mood swings may all indicate that an individual is dealing with prescription drug addiction and may require possible drug rehab.
Physical And Emotional Signs
There are other instances that may be indicative of a prescription medication addiction problem. This includes when an individual seeks prescriptions from multiple doctors. When prescriptions are frequently lost requiring that prescriptions be rewritten, this may be an indicator that there is a drug addiction problem. Those who feel that they themselves or someone they love has a prescription medication addiction should seek out Boca Raton drug rehab and the assistance of a doctor as soon as possible. Here are some physical and emotional signs and symptoms associated with prescription drug addiction.
- – Opioids: When a person becomes addicted to opioids they may exhibit slowed breathing, drowsiness, confusion or lack of coordination. In addition, increased pain with higher dosages as well as nausea and constipation may all indicate an opioid addiction problem.
- – Stimulants: When someone becomes addicted to stimulants they may show signs of agitation and reduced appetite as well as anxiety and paranoia. Those struggling with stimulant addiction may experience irregular heartbeat, insomnia, and high blood pressure as well as even high body temperature.
- – Anti-Anxiety Medication And Sedatives: When prescription medication addiction involves sedatives or antianxiety medications the individual may be unsteady when walking or may have slurred speech and exhibit confusion and drowsiness. These types of medications can also cause memory problems, slowed breathing and dizziness as well as a lack of concentration.
Increased Levels Of Alertness
People of all ages can end up abusing prescription drugs for a number of reasons. This can include the desire to experience increased relaxation while relieving tension, stress, and anxiety. Others abuse prescription medications simply because they wish to get high or want to feel good. These drugs are sometimes used inappropriately to reduce appetite or even increase levels of alertness. Others may wish to misuse prescription medication in order to experience altered states of consciousness or experiment with the mental effects of certain drugs. Even college students have been known to become addicted to pharmaceutical medications as a way to stay awake in order to complete academic work or to improve concentration.
The good news for those addicted to prescription medications is that drug rehab in Boca Raton as well as in other areas around the country can clearly help.Setting out on the road to recovery when it comes to prescription drug addiction simply involves making a conscious decision to improve one’s life. With our tailored treatment program available to anyone seeking the help that they need, those struggling with prescription medication addiction have genuine hope. Today more than ever before successful recovery is always clearly in sight and well within reach. Take the first step today and call Fourmula Center.